|Image Source: Pixabay.com|
The GML program is an excellent program that asks students to learn about, memorize, and pass off certain requirements to show their understanding of U.S. History. This isn't some easy "spend five minutes and you've got it" program. It has 13 requirements, that I believe, will help students learn about their past and prepare them for their future. The intense list is as follows:
- Correctly write the Pledge of Allegiance
- Correctly recite the Pledge of Allegiance in Sign Language
- Correctly recite the Preamble to the Constitution
- Either sing or recite the Star Spangled Banner
- Name all 44 US Presidents in order, first and last name
- Correctly name and locate each of the 50 (a) states and their (b) capitals on a map
- Correctly name and locate the US and all the continents of the world on a map
- Correctly recite the Gettysburg Address
- Correctly recite a line from the Declaration of Independence
- Correctly recite the symbols of the United States of America
- Correctly recite the symbols of the State of Utah
- Correctly recite the symbols of 'Old Glory'
The program will be great as the students share what they've learned through both the spoken word and song. We will be singing ten different patriotic songs, including God Bless the USA. What a great way to end the school year and help our 5th-graders prepare to move on to Intermediate school and beyond!